Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Thirty-first Sunday in Ordinary Time

My Companions pray with me: LORD, as we appreciate all your glory that surrounds us each day of our lives, help us to know your awesome love and to love you. And guide that love in us to spill-out to all the people we encounter each day: our neighbors. Forgive us for our failure to love and change our stony hearts into fleshy ones filled with gratitude. Please comfort our family members and friends who suffer illness and pain, especially Danni, Judi, Molly, Gail, and all who have asked for our prayer. Please comfort all who are hit hard by our recent storm. Help us live with joy.

Birthday: Gail Audino (11/9)
.
 
Keeping In-touch: We enjoyed visiting with Marge's nephew, Tim, at the Novitiate of Holy Cross Community at Cascade, CO. on Saturday. They have a beautiful, quiet place for the young men to prepare for their service in the priesthood. We also enjoyed a less quiet trip to Old Chicago to celebrate Tim's birthday with him. Although the Tigers did not win the World Series -- :( for family and friends in and from Michigan -- we delight in the winning streak for Notre Dame :)  The leaves have fallen and we're prepared for the ghosts and goblins that will haunt us tomorrow evening. Boo!   

The Readings: Thirty-first Sunday in Ordinary Time

Some Commentary: Fr. John Foley, S. J.
My comments and an invitation for your comments:  I wrote my "prayer" (above) before I read Fr. Foley's comments this week. The "spill-over" seems to have hit both of us in our reading of the scriptures for this weekend. I also thought of the question, "What is the greatest commandment?" and likened it to my students' question, "What do I need to do to get an 'A'?" Translated: what is the minimum of effort and the least quality of papers I have to write to get an 'A' in this course? Are those the questions we ask about life? Rather, let us ask, "How can we have the most joyous life possible!?" "How can we experience the best life has to offer?" I'm betting it comes with love of God and neighbor... How do you experience your "zest for life"?

John


Comments, Reflections, Insights...

No comments:

Post a Comment