Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Sixteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time

My Companions: Let us praise the LORD for the wonderful creation and the great Mystery of Love.  Let us seek forgiveness for the weeds in our life, knowing the gracious love that falls on the wheat and weeds. Let us give thanks and grow hearts of gratitude and laughter.  And let us pray for all our needs, especially those listed on our blog and all the men and women in retirement homes and assisted care facilities: may their final days be grace for those with whom they share their day and for all who visit.

Birthdays: Larry Lay (7/14).  Anniversaries: Birdene DeBoar (d. 7/12), Megan and Cullen Stevens (7/14)

Keeping In-touch: I run a day late from my intended post time... Wow! what a full week.  My trip to Chicago-land filled my days with joy: meeting new companions in training sessions and enjoying old friends and family in "jaw" sessions (sometime with funny names like "choir-practice"). On the phone each day, I delightfully heard of Marge's healing progress and her participation in her own "jaw" sessions with gracious friends.  I expect to do much, good work in Chicago-land after meeting professionals with vision.  I had to laugh at the LORD's humor in a "gift of a pet" for Grandpa: a baby skunk in his window-well (see an article on humor).  Dad invited me to participate in the prayer services he leads at the retirement homes on Sunday: a blessing to join in their praise for the LORD.

The Readings: Sixteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Fr. Foley's Reflections: Weeding
My comments and an invitation for you for comment: Jesus taught in parables.  This weekend the readings challenge us to learn about God's Kingdom in images of the growing of wheat and weeds, a mustard seed and leaven.  Growing in Love is a process; a process that has begun before the creation of the world; a process that continues each day; a process that will find completion in God's good time.  These images challenge me to live in the fullness of that Love now.  And I appreciate the Love that will not "root-out" my weeds but continues to nurture my wheat; I'm thankful for the Love that changes me without overcoming me.  Thank you for your participation in that Love.

Celebrate the growth of God's Kingdom in your lives this week!

John

Comments, Reflections, Insights...

No comments:

Post a Comment