Monday, March 2, 2009

Second Sunday of Lent


My Companions: I visited my friend and colleague, Sam Eccher, in the hospital this after noon and he asks for your prayers as he recovers from his second surgery. He is not physically strong but has an encouraging spirit! And Elizabeth told us this morning that her husband, Clarence Boitnott, struggles again. Judi Cole is in the hospital. Gary Dixon needs a physical and psychic jolt; hopefully the time change will give us all a boost (don’t forget to adjust your time pieces: “spring ahead”). Mary Weed and Pat O’Donnell share encouraging words we Marge and I talk to them on the phone (respectively). Don’t forget all those who these hard economic times feel the hit.
My birthday, anniversary, and other celebration events calendar has no marks this week.

Keeping-in-touch: Even though Lent began last week, my week was filled with lunch events for business and friends. We have begun to enroll people in our inaugural Old Testament Course (Launch Date = March 29th: I would love to have you join one of our first sessions: http://www.emmausinstitute.org/main/page_march_09_registration.html) and I’m meeting with new facilitators and potential directors. Today I received my first scholarship check from a donor friend. We celebrated Matt, Lori Beth and Tony’s birthdays with a brunch of new foods. The early spring weather gave me opportunities to play tennis and Marge studies Spanish as she works-out on her “gazelle.” I will give my AAR presentation on Saturday: “Pedagogy, Technology and the Generations.” Tough times sometimes help us really reflect on what matters most!
The Readings:
http://www.usccb.org/nab/030809.shtml
Comments on the Readings: Fr. Foley: “In the Transfiguration Jesus the comfort showed himself as God the infinite fire.” http://www.liturgy.slu.edu/2LentB030809/reflections_foley.html
My reflections: The reading from the Old Testament this week, Abraham called to sacrifice his son, Isaac, has always given me cause to struggle with God! How could a loving God request such an inhumane act? I humbly cower, like Job, when I think of questioning my Lord! And, existentially, I live in the “Fear and Trembling” of Kierkegaard (and I have lost sleep over this). I have come to re-focus, with the help of Fr. John Kavanaugh and I hope you will see the promise vs. the potential sacrifice. http://www.liturgy.slu.edu/2LentB030809/theword_encountered.html

May the peace of Christ be with each of you.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment