Monday, February 23, 2009

First Sunday of Lent

My Companions: It’s never easy to say “Au revoir” to our parents, even when we have a resurrection faith. Peggy’s father died last Friday, so our prayers are with her: http://www.thestarpress.com/article/20090221/OBITUARIES/902210344/1023 Remember all the people looking for work and homes. Let us continue to pray for the renewed health of the people on our list; I have added Greg Wells, one of my Ignatian Faculty Scholar Colleagues.
Birthdays this week: Tony Gulmantovicz (son-in-law), Michele Lay, Mitch Ross

Keeping-in-touch: As always teaching and grading papers took up most of my time last week. Bill and Lindsay invited us to dinner one evening and our SCC (small church community group) reflected on some scenes from the movie “Passion of the Christ” as lent approaches but other than that we’re just “living the dream.” Oh yes, we did take “a leap of faith” that I will become “more productive” and we made our flight reservations for Spain in June.

The Readings:
http://www.usccb.org/nab/030109.shtml

Comments on the Readings:
http://www.liturgy.slu.edu/1LentB030109/reflections_foley.html
Fr. Foley: “What if we described Lent as a “Retreat”?
My thoughts: I can not look at a rainbow as just another beautiful phenomenon any more. The rainbow tells me, “The time of fulfillment is near, the kingdom of God is at hand!” This symbol of the covenant calls to mind an invitation of friendship from the Greatest Lover not an agreement of submission but a call to abundant life. I pray my lenten practices will bring me closer to that Awesome Love.

May the peace of Christ be with each of you.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment