Monday, March 23, 2009

Fifth Sunday of Lent

My Companions: Well Companions, I missed last week’s update (but no one called me on my “slacker-status” so I guess my procrastination received no comment). Here we will return to challenge and comments. My friend Greg asked that we pray for “Brian” who denies the existence of God so we’ll add that to our list. Also Randy told me that his daughter, Madelaine, will have to have an operation for “a hole in her heart.” This is the same operation that Anna Margaret had last fall if you remember (http://companions-in-prayer.blogspot.com/2008/08/nineteenth-sunday-in-ordinary-time.html) but Madelaine is about 20 years older. So, as we continue to pray for all on our lists, we will add these.
Birthdays last week: We had many birthdays last week, the St. Patrick’s Day Birthdays: Charlie Stevens (grandson), Rick Dunn, Lindsay Smith and Trish Buckley and the others: Bob Weed and Christine DeBaar.
Birthdays this week: I see only Rachel (Kobza) Varra and me.

Keeping-in-touch: We enjoyed some Spring weather and did some of the garden prep work. And we're planning to visit our little ones in Lincoln. Marge didn't have "the intestional fortitude" to celebrate the Irish High Holiday but she's better this week. I miss doing this blog and she sent birthday cards out late! We'll work to stay on track this week.

The Readings:
http://www.liturgy.slu.edu/5LentB032909/reflections_foley.html
Comments on the Readings: Fr. Foley: ” There is only one way for the seeds of our souls to escape death. They must rupture the safety shield, and begin the journey of courage. They must be taught love within the darkness.”
http://www.liturgy.slu.edu/3LentB031509/reflections_foley.html
And ” The famous words that follow are almost unique in the Gospels. ‘And Jesus wept.’"
http://www.liturgy.slu.edu/5LentRCIA032909/reflections_foley.html
My Comments: no matter if your community proclaims the Raising of Lazarus scripture or the Preparation for the Passover Feast passage we come upon our final weeks of Lent and we remember how Jesus had to suffer and die before the Resurrection! I hope we can pick-up our crosses, help one another carry theirs and celebrate together the promise of New Life.


May the peace of Christ be with each of you.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment