Monday, August 4, 2008

Nineteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time




My Companions:


We rejoice in the success of Anna Margaret’s heart operation. My sister, Judi, spent time in the hospital last week; I called and she’s doing better. I just learned today that my friends Gary & Kim will visit the middle of next week (and we will pray for a cure of his cancer). Thank you, all of my companions, for your prayers and for sharing your joys and sorrows.



Keeping-in-touch:
Our 100 degree heat made me cut down on tennis last week, but I made great strides in my work with Moodle (the Learning Management Software). The next couple weeks will fill-up with “dog and pony shows.” I enjoyed the celebration of St Ignatius Day at Regis and visited with a friend I had not seen for a while, Fr. Paul. We also enjoyed a wonderful dinner at our friends’, Sally and Tom.

The Readings:




Comments on the Readings:


Fr. Foley tells us to reflect on what Jesus must have thought and how He prayed:
http://www.liturgy.slu.edu/19OrdA081008/reflections_foley.html

My Reflections
If I saw Jesus walking toward me as I paddled my canoe, I think I would react like the disciples: When the disciples saw him walking on the sea they were terrified.
“It is a ghost,” they said, and they cried out in fear.
Then, I would probably “mess-up” like the impetuous Peter (I can really relate to Peter).

I wonder how you, my companions, have heard the Lord speak to you? In the thunder? Or in “a tiny whispering sound”? Leave a comment, if you will.




May the peace of Christ be with each of you.



John

4 comments:

  1. Monday update on Anna

    The van is packed... Anna is wearing her 'street clothes'... No more wires, stickers, needles or tubes to be removed... All tests are done. We should be on our way to Byron Center within the hour.

    Chris and Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. the greatest gift God could give to any of us is to know that Anna is doing great once again! God bless the children!We are sooo happy. Also looking forward to Kim and Gary coming out so we can give big hugs. Much Love to all, Marg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will pray for your sister and friends who are ill. Please pray for the soul of Irene Frank, a friend of my Twin Lakes neighbors who spent the last months of her life taking caring of a very sick husband. She followed him in death three weeks later! Please pray for my high school classmate Tom Fritz who has lung cancer and is undergoing chemo. Ed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please pray for the soul of Dean Canada from Vail. You might remember him and his wife Charlyn and daughter Collins. Dean had a lung transplant 3 years ago. He died yesterday. Love you both. Ed+

    ReplyDelete