Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Third Sunday of Advent

My Companions:
I have had some powerful experiences with some of my companions these past days. The Mass of the Resurrection for Dr. Thomas Hooyman powerfully celebrated his life and our participation in the communion of saints (by the way, if you click on the title of each post “Second Sunday of Advent” for example, any or all comments will appear at the bottom of the entry). I also dined with a friend and colleague: Muslim and Christian entered into dialogue and shared hope for justice and peace in our world. My Aunt Marie fell and now recovers from a broken hip; her name is added to our list. I have also added Johanna O’Connell’s husband, Raymond Daniel O’Connell, to our list of those who have gone before us. I also receive many thanks for the prayers from readers of this blog (not all my companions know each other). Thanks again.

Keeping in-touch:
I went to Las Vegas last week to work on a faculty assessment team for Regis. I made new friends and continued to work hard on my school work and my projects. Margaret has turned our home into a Christmas season home where we anxiously await our times of celebration with family and friends. I had a “small moment” as I confronted another person who I thought showed me disrespect… I have so much growing to do. I hope you have found the 3 minute retreat helpful; I’ve found it a great way to start the day.


The Readings:
http://www.usccb.org/nab/121408.shtml

Comments on the Readings:
Fr. Foley shares his experience of darkness and seeking the light.



My Reflections:

In many ways I know that in your lives,
The spirit of the Lord GOD is upon you,
because the LORD has anointed you;
he has sent you to bring glad tidings to the poor,
to heal the brokenhearted,
to proclaim liberty to the captives
and release to the prisoners,
to announce a year of favor from the LORD
and a day of vindication by our God

May the peace of Christ be with each of you.

John

2 comments:

  1. Hi John,

    Just a thought. Your comment in the blog I just read ("my companions don't all know each other") makes me ask, "Is there a way we could get to know one another better?" I don't mind praying for and with people I don't know, but it seems to me we have a common faith to share with each other which could be empowering.

    I am a neophite when it comes to blogging, so I don't really know if this could become, with your leadership, more interactive. I know you have created a place for comments. Perhaps you could issue a challenge for more participation and start off with an introduction exercise.

    Well, there you have my two cents for the day.


    Have a great day!

    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good idea, Greg. I will try to put together an information clip to my post next week.
    John

    ReplyDelete