Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Fourth Sunday of Advent

My Companions:
Today I received a call that my sister, Judi Cole, went to the hospital and is presently in ICU. She has so many issues with her health… we appreciate your prayers. And Melanie wrote that her husband, Mike, has returned to the hospital with “pneumonia... So, keep your thoughts and prayers coming our way for a speedy recovery!”
I have no birthdays/anniversaries on my calendar for this week (and I encourage you to always send me updates) but I see many on my calendar for next week. I wrote on Mary Weed’s birthday card but failed to include her birthday as an event in my blog last week (I prayed for her health and neglected to list her birthday in my blog… some brother-in-law!).

Keeping-in-touch:
My week was filled with “cancellations” “desolations” and “consolations,” and so what’s new? My productive students have delighted me and affirm my choice of this vocation, or I should say response to this calling. My desire to serve has been enhanced by my Deacon Friend and my new found “associates” in Las Vegas and San Jose. My Bride has become “a church lady” with her service at various ministries at Nativity of Our Lord (appropriate place for this holiday season). We have most of the Christmas cards addressed. Our anticipation of “children” and grandchildren makes the anticipation of the Christ Child at Christmas more special.

The Readings:
http://www.usccb.org/nab/122108.shtml

Comments on the Readings:
Fr. Foley compares/contrasts the response of Mary and Zechariah and asks us how much we listen…
http://www.liturgy.slu.edu/4AdvB122108/reflections_foley.html
My ReflectionsWouldn’t it be a pain to have a prophet hanging around all the time? You know, speaking God’s word and all… just when you have a good idea, like David, to honor the Lord, the prophet shows up to tell you, “this isn’t what the Lord wants!” I guess my best companions serve as prophets to me… everyone needs their Nathans! You know what I want to build for God; but where do I fail to find him?
As we turn our lives over to our God, how has “the power of the Most High overshadowed” us? How are we pregnant with the child “who will be called holy, the Son of God.” Do not be afraid and experience how you have found favor with God! Then serve your relatives (all our brothers and sisters) who others call “barren.”

May the peace of Christ be with each of you.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment