Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Second Sunday of Advent


My Companions:
We have good news that Mary Weed is having a good day. Please keep Melanie’s husband, Mike, in your prayers for his “markers” are off and they are worried (see comment). So many of us commented on all the blessings for which we have such gratitude in this season. We can rejoice with Nic Lumpp for the funds received in Germany for Somaly Mam Foundation.


Keeping-in-touch:
I watch the movie On the Waterfront and enjoyed the fiery preaching that we must stand for others. We enjoyed a nice, quiet Thanksgiving. And my learning curve for taking and editing film is steeper than I expected!


The Readings:
http://www.usccb.org/nab/120708.shtml

Comments on the Readings:
Fr. Foley comments on the LORD’s tender love in all creation.
http://www.liturgy.slu.edu/2AdvB120708/reflections_foley.html

My Reflections When I worked downtown we regularly encountered a “bearded Bible toting Crier” who we thought was “a little short of full deck.” Makes me wonder how his contemporaries saw John the Baptist? Would I say, “that’s interesting, but what can I do about this world of sinners?”

May the peace of Christ be with each of you.

John

2 comments:

  1. Hi John!

    I hope you are doing well!

    I am wondering if you can add my husband Mike to your blog…he battled cancer 3 years ago, has been in remission after doing chemo, but after a recent PET scan there is some metabolic activity. We won’t know if it is cancer again or just something like an irritated lung due to a cough until his March PET scan. Could you send good thoughts for us out into the universe?

    Thanks! Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

    Sincerely, your fellow Ignatian Scholar-

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes we interact with a Companion for only a brief time while we're on this earth. Such was my encounter with Dr. Thomas Hooyman: we met at a mission day event and contributed our insights in a small group discussion of the Regis Mission; we waved to one another at mission luncheons; and we exchanged emails about the Emmaus Story. Do I celebrate our brief encounter or cry for the loss of expected companionship? I think both! May we celebrate his life as we await a more full celebration of the communion of saints.
    http://www.regis.edu/newsdetail.asp?sctn=news&p1=rdn&archive=false&year=&newsID=537&page=1

    ReplyDelete