Monday, November 24, 2008

First Sunday of Advent


My Companions:
Blessings for all, as always. In this space I try to keep you informed concerning “my companions.” Some of you know each other and some of your circles do not intersect, but we graciously appreciate all your prayers.
This week I really hope you will take some special time for prayers of thanksgiving for our elders who have shared their faith and their love through the years. I’m thinking of my father, Edmund Lay, who I have recently visited and Eleanore Kobza (Alan’s mother) who will celebrate “four score” years with her family this week.
You may have noticed two new names I’ve added to pray for renewed health: I have worked with John Kane and Pat O’Donnell and heard of their situations through other friends this week; may the LORD and their family and friends bring them comfort. And keep your prayers coming for Mary Weed. Also, I learned on FaceBook that Korinda Knowlton’s father died, so I added his name to our list.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! I have no birthdays or anniversaries on my calendar this week.


Keeping-in-touch:
I have recovered from my cold and have almost caught-up on my regular tasks. Dave Larson helped with video editing advice so I should start editing mini-lectures this week when my new software arrives. I’m ready to launch some of my work.
I heard Chris Lowney (Heroic Leadership) speak a few times last week: the principles of self-knowledge, ingenuity, heroism and love can help us enliven our world! He challenges us to serve as “leaders of leaders”!
We should have a quiet Thanksgiving but “word on the street” recommends we plan for a loving, family rally at Christmas.


The Readings:
http://www.usccb.org/nab/113008.shtml

Comments on the Readings:
Fr. Foley shares a Hopkins poem (and I appreciate the footnote… I have limited skill and appreciation of poetry … maybe, with patience, I will grow).
The new (Church) year has begun (cycle B for our readings)!
I pray the “The Potter” will more fully mold this clay this Advent, that I may more fully receive Christ this Christmas. I need to be watchful; I need to be alert… in what ways will the LORD come to my home this year?

May the peace of Christ be with each of you.

John

3 comments:

  1. Thanks again for the update.
    By the way
    You may want to take Judy Lay off the list. It's been a challenge but she is now doing great. God does answer prayer!! and thank you for all of yours.
    Larry Lay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim Audino's doctor says he's fine... he just has a different "normal" white cell count.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,
    Many thanks for the prayers. I am doing fine, and the surgery was successful. It is possible that the cancer might need chemo, but we won't know about that for a month or so. I m feeling fine, and we are able to get out of the house. I hope you and your family have a great thanksgiving. Peace Pat OD

    ReplyDelete