Monday, September 29, 2008

Twenty-seventh Sunday in Ordinary Time



My Companions:
Often “no news is good news” so I hope everyone increases in health and happiness.


Keeping-in-touch:
Some weeks enliven us more than others! Marge and I enjoyed an evening, midweek, of camping and storytelling with our friends Greg and Pat at Chatfield Reservoir. So often I find that we work with people or even live with others and don’t take time to share stories and visions. On another level I experienced a similar happening as I attended the Jewish -- Christian Dialogue Dinner in Colorado Springs and listened to the exchange of Rabbi Howard Hirsch and Rev. John Pawlikwoski. If all persons could only share the glory of encountering everyone with openness, respect and affirmation, we would approach “the Kingdom.” Then we escaped for “autumn delight” by camping and exploring Rocky Mountain National Park and the Peak to Peak Highway: the glory of the LORD shown all ‘round us! We had some quiet time; we relaxed and read. I finished reading Modras’s Ignatian Humanism: A Spirituality for the 21st Century. This work spoke to me like few I have read: for it put “blood and guts” on the stories of some of the Jesuits whose work I have studied and introduced me to others whose work I had not known.
See our pics http://picasaweb.google.com/johnwlay/AutumnDelight080925#


The Readings:
http://www.usccb.org/nab/100508.shtml

Comments on the Readings:
Fr. Foley concludes: “God sent his own son into the trap of human life not because life is perfect, but because love is.”
I can not help but think about the greed and selfishness that brings us to our present economic crisis as a nation when I read Jesus’ story of the workers who kill the master’s son. What difference does it make if you destroy others with stones or bogus financial instruments in order to pilfer the livelihood of others? We must call for responsibility and justice. I suggest, as we do this, we also follow the admonishment of the second reading and “Have no anxiety at all, but…”


May the peace of Christ be with each of you.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment