Tuesday, June 24, 2008

June 29th: Sts Peter and Paul

My Companions:
Judy Lay has returned home from the hospital and continues to regain her health. She wrote me with many gracious comments for the grace she has received. Dad still sounds raspy when we spoke on the phone but assures us that his throat gives no pain. This week I added Clarence Boitnott to our prayers for Elizabeth tells us his body has taken its toll after surgeries and treatments…
Keeping in-touch:
We enjoyed a quiet weekend after a week of recovery from our travels. My Maggie keeps busy preparing for Rachel’s wedding shower. I received a nice writer’s honorarium for my article, “My jihad, as a Catholic, with Islam,” from LEAVEN. Can you believe summer has begun and Friday is Independence Day? Now I need to get to work on The Emmaus Institute or some other fruitful endeavor.
The Readings:June 29th: Solemnity of Saints Peter and Paul, Apostles
http://www.usccb.org/nab/readings/062908.shtml
Comments on the Readings
Fr. Foley's reflections on the Readings challenge us with the question, “Does putting love first seem impossible?”
http://www.liturgy.slu.edu/PeterPaul062908/reflections_foley.html
My Reflections
When ever I have taught or facilitated a course on Jesus of Nazareth or a course in Christology, I begin the course with this question: “Who do you say Jesus is?” Then, after some reflection and some sharing of images and perspectives, I comment: “What you say about Jesus probably says more about you than it does about Jesus!”
I can not help to wonder how I might have reacted to the first church leaders, Peter and Paul. In the Gospels Peter comes off like a guy who just doesn’t get it. And some times Paul seems so arrogant it’s a wonder anyone listened. I guess the Lord can work through just about anyone: so pray for our leaders today!
I have not been lead out of prison by an angel like Peter and I’m sure I have a ways yet to run, unlike Paul, but I have been given a great gift of faith and recognize Jesus as Lord. I only pray this gift will grow and the Holy Spirit will work through me as I continue the race.

May the peace of Christ be with each of you.

John

3 comments:

  1. Hey Dad,
    I like how you have set up this page. Thanks. I'll try to write more in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Maggie asked who Billy Maggio (from our prayers for health), so here was Randy's request for prayer from "our companions." (Nic is Randy's Son):

    Please pray for Billy Maggio and his family. He is the USAFA classmate of Nic's who was discovered to have a rare liver cancer when he reported for flight training. He subsequently had a transplant and has been doing well for two years. Last week he tested positive for a return of the cancer.

    Randy

    ReplyDelete