Tuesday, July 1, 2008


July 6, 2008: Fourteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time

My Companions:
Thanks Matthew for beginning to make this blog interactive! As we prepare for our Sunday assembly may we have a safe holiday and reflect on the value of having the freedom to choose the good! I have added a section on the left side of the blog to list those "who have gone before us in the sign of faith." Let me know who you would like to add to the list.

Keeping in-touch:
I think we have recovered from our jet-lag. The bridal shower went well and the anticipation of Rachel and Peter's wedding (and the arrival of all our children to town) begins its crescendo. Time flys when you're having fun. I've made some strides on formats for Emmaus Institute work. And I had a great deal of time to meditate as I began painting on the outside of the house. Otherwise we are back in the swing of life in Broomfield.


The Readings:
http://www.usccb.org/nab/readings/070608.shtml

Comments on the Readings
Fr. Foley's reflections on the Readings take a look at how Jesus, unlike Dylan Thomas, didn't focus on death. http://www.liturgy.slu.edu/14OrdA070608/reflections_foley.html


My Reflections
As I reflect on these scriptures I can not help but recall the times I didn't particularly want a humble God who would meekly ride into town on an ass. In our every day view of the world and the standards by which most of the world works, Jesus is a "loser." This is a real challenge for those of us who pray for comfort, wealth and fame. Can I really find comfort in one who was crucified? I don't know about you, but I want to live "an abundant life." I guess I will reflect this week on what that really means... even though I know I will die and I'm aware that I often do not live in the freedom that has been offered to me!
I'm sure you have some insights for all of us...

May the peace of Christ be with each of you.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment