Saturday, December 23, 2017

A Christmas Opportunity


As I was out-and-about and on my way home yesterday my friends, Connie and Alan, called. They described a sad situation: “Someone vandalized our nativity scene last night. We found the stable and fence in the park across the street, but we cannot find the silhouette of Jesus, Mary, and Joseph anywhere. Please save your pattern so we may replace it next year. We have returned the empty stable by the floodlight as a sign.”
“I will call you back and see what I could do.” I replied. I drove home telling myself, “I needed to make this decoration complete.”
My father, Ed Lay, who died this March (age 92) back in Illinois made nativity scenes for a hobby.  He cut-out and painted 10 to 12 of these Christmas, lawn decorations each year. His work may be found from Florida and South Carolina to Las Vegas and California. This hobby brought him joy; primarily, wanted to “keep Christ in Christmas.” 
Once when Dad visited us in Broomfield, we constructed one of these nativity scenes for Connie and Alan. Since then I’ve made a few of these and given them to companions. I delight when I view these displayed at the holiday season. I reflect on the Incarnation and on the love my dad shared.
“Why would someone desiccate so simple a sign of love, joy, and peace?”

I quickly gathered my tools and a piece of plywood from the garage. In the frigid driveway I cut-out a replacement part. I took it to Connie and Alan to paint and restore their little proclamation of good will.
We have an opportunity to grant Dad his wish: to keep Christ in Christmas. We have an opportunity to forgive and to pray for those who have failed to love themselves and others. May they see the Light.

May all of you find peace, and joy, and love this Christmas Season in whatever holidays you celebrate.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I love seeing the simple creche in yards throughout town as opposed to the LIGHTS that have nothing to do with the meaning of Christmas. Snowmen, reindeer, etc., just don't speak Christmas to me. Thanks for helping keep Him in Christmas.

    ReplyDelete