Monday, August 11, 2014

Twentieth Sunday in Ordinary Time

My Companions pray with me: How can we praise You, Lord? Your glory, and beauty, and truth, and goodness outshine any effort we make to worship You! Grant us Your forgiveness and mercy for all our sins. Even in our work for justice, we know that only Your mercy can make us whole. Thank You for all your gifts. And help us with all we need. We pray especially for Tom King (in hospice care) and for everyone we have in mind: those suffering persecution, those in failing health, and those who have gone before us.

Companion Events: Birthdays Bev Grau (8/11), Neil Cyrus (8/11), Margie (Czarnecki-Norton) Pintek (8/16).  Anniversary: Mike and Michele Lay (8/12/1989); In memoriam: Walter Ong (8/12/2003).

Keeping In-touch:  We enjoyed another wonderful summer week that zoomed past us. I taped a couple sessions of the OT MOOC. I played golf in Presentation of Our Lady School's Charity Golf Tournament which was a success (I think I could learn to enjoy that game if I had the time and the money to play a couple or three days a week.). With the help I received, especially from my son, Matthew, we have the garage door working again (we're alive and have all our body parts). We remembered Bill Prymak on Saturday at his internment. Now this week, we're looking forward to our trip to Oregon.

The Readings: Twentieth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Some Commentary: Fr. John Foley, S. J.

My comments and an invitation for your comments: 
Although the Canaanite woman would not have claimed to have a relationship with Jesus, she shared her true self with Him:
“Please, Lord, for even the dogs eat the scraps
that fall from the table of their masters."
...and Jesus responds commending the woman's faith. The woman turned to Jesus because she wanted life, a full life for her daughter, not a life tormented by demons.
I, too, turn to Jesus because I desire abundant life! I ask that He take away my demons of worry, selfishness, and failure to apply the gifts of the Holy Spirit: wisdom, understanding, knowledge, council, fortitude, piety, and fear of the Lord. How much more should I share my true self with My Lord? He will not laugh at my petty requests or my appeal for help to become a saint!
John 

No comments:

Post a Comment