Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Eighteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time (and the feast day of St Ignatius of Loyola, July 31)

My Companions: Let us praise the LORD with our minds and with our hearts and in every way the LORD shows the LORD's self to us.  Let us seek the LORD's mercy for our failures to bring Love into our world and experience the LORD's loving kindness that brings life despite our failures. Let our stoney hearts become hearts of flesh filled with gratitude for all good things especially our loving companions and the beautiful creation we have to share.  Let us ask for all our needs especially health in mind and body.



Birthdays: Cameron Ross (7/26), Michael Schnitzer (7/27), Marie Friedemann (7/28), Ted McMurdo (7/29), Karen (Norton) Gravelyn (8/1). Anniversary: Agnes Klaus (d. 8/26)

The Story of Ignatius of Loyola

Keeping In-touch: "Do you feel up to attending the social gathering for our liberal arts faculty?" I asked my Bride. "We must," she replied, "so many of them are praying with and for us!" So this was a gracious experience for us this week.  And we plan to go camping this weekend with our small Christian Community Group: this too will bring us life.  The bunnies devour Marge's flowers so that keeps her dander up and returns some of her spunk.  We'll see a University Hospital Physician on Friday for another opinion and just continue to pray for the LORD's glory to be found in our fight.  Although we have experienced many 90+ degree days, we hate to see the summer drawing to a close...

Readings: Eighteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Fr. Foley's Reflections: Come to the Water 
The song "Come to the Water"
My comments and an invitation for you for comment: I feel selfish when I read the story of how Jesus lost a best friend and then, with little time for solitude, responded to the needs of those longing for the fullness of life: they came to a deserted place and He would not dismiss them.  In contrast, I sometimes just want to be left alone when my compassion takes the life-blood out of me.  It's ironic that when I do look beyond my own hurting, busy myself with the needs of others, I find a consolation that does not come with grieving.  Maybe that's why Jesus "fixed dinner right away."  Maybe that's why Ignatius found life in the way of Jesus and the saints!

May you too find consolation in your chosen service.

Many blessings,

John

No comments:

Post a Comment