Sunday, March 6, 2011

First Sunday of Lent

My Companions: I haven't kept-up with our blog this year and, since Lent begins this week, I'll get back to my encouraging words.  We have so many reasons to pray: to adore the Lord who brings us life each minute, to seek forgiveness from our sisters and brothers and the Lord for poor choices of action and/or inaction, to express all the gratitude in our hearts, and to "seek our daily bread."  I'm so thankful that niece, Molly, is recovering from her blood clot, that niece, Katie, will bring new life to our world and nephew, Tim, will study for priesthood with the Holy Cross Fathers.

Birthdays: (some catch-up here & always appreciate help for those I miss) Alan Kobza (1/1), Sue Ross (1/1), Rebecca Muniz (1/3), Jack Parise (1/7), Cullen Stevens (1/11), Kathy Schaefer (1/15), Mary D. Norton (1/15), Barry Martin (1/17), Pete Rogers (1/17), Marty Munos (1/19), Gary Smith (1/21), Julia Brumbaugh (1/22), Molly Komon (1/23), Michael Sheeran (1/24), Ed Lay (1/27), Karen Adkins (1/28), Mary Olson (1/29), Colleen Weed (1/30), Paul Alexander (1/31), Vicki Schnitzer (1/31), John Kane (2/1), Mike DePriest (2/1), Ed Luckett (2/2), Mohamed Lofty (2/10), Jim Makin (2/11), Lori Beth Gulmantovicz (2/14), Matthew Lay (2/16), Byron Plumley (2/18), Tony Gulmantovicz (2/22), Michele Lay (2/23), Mitch Ross (2/23), Tom Leininger (2/24), Tom Duggan (2/26), John Lay (the younger 3/10)

Keeping In-touch: Marge and I began the year on a business/vacation trip to California and I was able to take second trip to Chicagoland.  I'm busy with my traditional college students and now an online CPS course.  Marge has begun to do her Stevens Ministry Work and funeral lunches.  Otherwise it's "same-old, same-old."  I have lost over thirty pounds and even though I "cheated" for the first part of the year, more carbs and less exercise, I'm getting back in the routine.

Readings: 1st Sunday of Lent
     (also, here are the Ash Wednesday Readings)

Fr. John Foley's reflections: Traps

My comments (and invitation for your post)
We're going to try to go to the Stations of the Cross weekly this year.  And since I've "given-up" all kinds of good food and drink to "loose my fat," there's not much there to "give-up," I will write this blog each Sunday evening... and get back into the habit.  Lent is a time set aside "to get in shape."  These little things may help us tune-into the Lord and live in the glory He wishes for us.

The story of the woman, the serpent, the husband and the forbidden fruit presents an icon of our experience of deceiving ourselves and deceiving others.  Hopefully our Lenten practice will help us see through that which keeps us from living with the utmost integrity.  And, like Jesus, we can see through the false promises presented to us and live as a people filled with the Unconditional Love of Abba.  That love fulfills more than all fortune, fame or power.  Let's find it in all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment