Friday, December 4, 2009

Second Sunday of Advent


My Companions: "The Lord has done great things for us!"  Let us pray with gratitude; I'm especially thankful for the support I received to continue The Emmaus Institute Project.  But I also need to ask your prayers for some companions, who ask not to be identified, but suffer from oppression: some economic, some emotional.  Also please pray with me for teachers in the inner city schools: may the reasources be given to them to do their work for God's Kingdom.


Birthdays: Kathy DePriest 12/3

Keeping-in-touch: These cold days make me so thankful for our warm home!  Nana's had a wonderful time helping to take care of Nate... it seems we watch him grow.  We're having a gathering of Ignatian Faculty Scholars this week; it will be good to tell and listen to our stories as we share a meal.

The Readings: http://www.usccb.org/nab/120609.shtml

Comments on the Readings: Fr. Foley: “Advent, the quiet time, the great contrast with our culture’s turbulent consumer-bonanza... Christ is gestating right now in our hearts, just as you and I did in our mother’s womb."  http://www.liturgy.slu.edu/2AdvC120609/reflections_foley.html
My Comments:  Maybe our economic troubles take the "plastic luster" out of this "shopping season," maybe I'm growing old and don't care much for "stuff," or maybe I already have too much "stuff"... whatever!  I just feel fortunate to have focused my preparation for Christmas on encountering friends: listening to stories and sharing visions... and working to quiet myself and listen.

May the peace of Christ be with each of you.

John

1 comment:

  1. I just learned that Allan Service fell on the ice Wednesday and is in ICU. Let us pray for him.

    ReplyDelete