Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Sixth Sunday of Ordinary Time


My Companions:

I did not learn much this last week that I have not already noted. Many are looking for work. Maybe we should pray for those who acted in ignorance and greed and help create this economic mess. Praying for the sociopath probably reminds us of our own evil potential and makes this a difficult behavior. Remember those on our prayer lists.
Birthdays this week: Lori Beth (my daughter)

Keeping-in-touch:
The Las Vegas trip brought new directions and services to provide. The encouragement of the people with whom I met brought delight for the service we will soon provide. My visit to downtown Las Vegas and “The Strip” revealed opulence that I have never imagined. My “tour guide,” Gary, and I brought home many stories. My home, my Bride, my family and friends hold more richness than any entertainment world… so good to return.


The Readings:
http://www.usccb.org/nab/readings/021509.shtml

Comments on the Readings:
http://www.liturgy.slu.edu/6OrdB021509/reflections_foley.html
Fr. Foley: “Our spiritual life consists of being made clean, which is the same thing as allowing God into our souls, to touch them.”
My thoughts: Jesus heals the leper. In my business, at times, students can be obsessed with, “what really happened?” and miss the power of the proclamation of God’s healing power and God’s call to allow that power to work in us. I hope as we prepare for our gathering this week, we can open our hearts and minds to that power where we, individually and communally, need healing.

May the peace of Christ be with each of you.

John

3 comments:

  1. I wanted you know Peggy’s dad suffered a stroke over the weekend. He was somewhat responsive, but as of last night he has taken a step backwards. The doctors haven’t given him much hope. Peggy’s mother is going through the dreaded ordeal of deciding to remove the feeding tube or not. They are waiting on the doctors again today for further discussions. Peggy is heading back to Indiana as soon as she hears the diagnosis from the doctors today. Please keep her in your prayers. I will keep you posted as things develop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi All: I don't know how many of you remember Vern and Gerry Chase, but for those of you who knew them, I received a phone call from their grand-daughter this morning to tell me that Gerry passed on to eternity last night. She was 95. Vern passed away in 2001. Vern was manager of Div 1 in the Waukegan store back in the 50' & 60s.They moved to Michigan when he retired and Gerry still lived at the same address. Another of the old Waukegan gang leaves us. Regards to all, Ed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peggy’s father passed away last night. We are headed back to Indiana ASAP. Peggy has been there all week and was with Merl last night when he passed.

    ReplyDelete