Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Fifth Sunday of Ordinary Time


My Companions:
Gone before us: A good friend of Dad: Aggie Haines http://www.legacy.com/STNG-NapervilleSun/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=123551273
Notes on our Companions’ healing needs:
Melanie writes that her husband, Mike, must now go through chemotherapy (see comment); I heard that Pat O’Donnell is very tired on account of his chemo treatments and Sam Eccher had colon surgery on Monday. A Regis colleague: David Hirsch’s wife (in her 30s) has been diagnosed with breast cancer. And progress: my sister, Judi Cole, came home from the hospital and Marge tells me that her sister, Mary Weed, sounds stronger.
Birthdays this week: Mike DePriest and Ed Luckett.

Keeping-in-touch:
I had an opportunity to present at the Cherry Creek Diversity Conference and I’m presently in Las Vegas building business and playing a little.


The Readings:
http://www.usccb.org/nab/readings/020809.shtml

Comments on the Readings:
http://www.liturgy.slu.edu/5OrdB020809/reflections_foley.html
Fr. Foley: “What I did not understand was the amount of pride polish mothers take in their traditional foods and the amount of it that they serve.”
My thoughts: we really are called to trust… when we experience times of sickness (Peter’s mother-in-law), despondency (Job), or offering of our lives (Jesus). As you see from this blog we know many people in our concentric circles of friends that can use our prayers and support to encourage their trust.

May the peace of Christ be with each of you.

John

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to send an update on my husband Mike. Many of you know he was very sick over the holidays. Yesterday we had a follow up with his oncologist, and it looks as though his cancer has re-occurred. The good news is that it is staying regional and hasn’t spread to other parts of his system. The bad news is, well, that this nasty little creature is back.

    The doctor thinks that chemotherapy is the right path to take with this because it worked the first time around, with Mike in remission for about one year. So, he will start on chemo Monday, three days on, two weeks off, and so on for the next 6 months. I have appreciated all the kindness, love and support you have extended to me and Mike and I hope it isn’t too much to ask that you keep that up, as well as put a good word in to the “Man upstairs” for us. Strength in numbers, as they say.

    ReplyDelete