Monday, January 5, 2009

The Feast of the Baptism of the Lord

My Companions:
The good news from my companions is: Kim told me that Gary Dixon had some very good days over the break; Dad told me that Judi Cole is responding to treatment; and Don told me that his father-in-law, Les, may come home from the hospital today. Please keep all of them in your prayers, along with the others on our list. More challenging: Fr. Ed Poehlmann told me that Fr. Denny Dwyer may be moved to hospice this week… this challenges us to reflect on our own mortality, celebrate the life we have been given and look forward to the fullness of the resurrection.
Maybe you noticed some changes in this blog. If you add yourself as a “Follower” this may encourage and inspire all of us as we prepare for the assembly each week and pray for one another. I see only one birthday on my calendar: Dave Debaar [remember daughter Anna Margaret and her heart surgery? She running ‘round like a little red head ought to do. Good News from all your prayer (see Aug 4, 2008)].

Keeping-in-touch:
We rang out the 2008 with a gracious gift theater tickets from Audrey, Jim’s Aunt, and enjoyed a wonderful evening with Kim and Jim. I played five sets of tennis on the 2nd as we enjoyed 60 degree weather before the sub-freezing temps arrived. Marge started the New Year a little under the weather. We’ve put the Christmas decorations away and enjoy the lengthening of days! Fr. Eustace has agreed to direct me in the 19th Annotation of the Spiritual Exercises so I expect 2009 to bring renewal in faith and enthusiasm.




The Readings:
http://www.usccb.org/nab/readings/011109.shtml

Comments on the Readings:
Fr. Foley: Jesus says to each of us, “You are my beloved; in you I am well pleased.” http://www.liturgy.slu.edu/BaptismLordB011109/reflections_foley.html
My Reflections: In the baptism of Jesus we have the witness of the God of Love: three persons in One God: Lover, Beloved, and Love; Father, Son and Holy Spirit. This witness tells us who we are and how we fit in the world as members of the Body of Christ.
You may have heard of the terrible events at the Eldora Ski Resort last week (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,474440,00.html).
A more detailed account of the event speaks to a witness in our day: A man shot into the ceiling, Brian Mahon walked into the room and asked what’s up? The man yelled, “who is a Christian?” Brian Mahon replied, “I’m a Catholic.” The man fatally shot Brian in the head and the chest.
I would hope that I could be “convicted by a heavenly court” by my witness to Our Lord of Love, but I can not imagine how I would react to a crazed, fundamentalist with a gun. Brian must enjoy the fullness of an encounter with the Lord today. He must be among the Saints who have gone before us.
As we prepare to celebrate the witness of the Baptism of Jesus, let’s pray for Brian’s wife and children and reflect on our participation in the life of Christ into Whom we have been baptized.

May the peace of Christ be with each of you.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment