Monday, October 13, 2008

Twenty-ninth Sunday in Ordinary Time


My Companions:
I heard from Randy and Gary (comments in blog) to pray for Nic, Billy and Dorothy. And, of course, Marge spoke with her sister, Mary. Also, we all need to pray for some sanity in financial markets and for responsible governmental leadership. I have only one anniversary on my calendar for this week: the celebration of Mother’s transition to eternal life (six years ago!).


Keeping-in-touch:
The week flew by so fast it was a blur… and fall is in the air! I rode a 16 mile and 20 mile bike ride, received some good counsel about my Emmaus project and visited with friends. I began building an Old Testament Course on the platform. I continue my study of candidates and issues and plan to vote and mailed my ballot before I travel to Chicago. We have planned a quick weekend trip to Lincoln (land of grandchildren). We were not able to attend Presentation’s Festival after all but we hope those who did attend enjoyed the food, dance and auction. Marge continues her class on the Book of Revelation but isn’t sure if the end is near or not.


The Readings:
http://www.usccb.org/nab/101908.shtml

Comments on the Readings:
Fr. Foley queries: “What if you are created to be a container for God’s presence right in the midst of the secular world?”http://www.liturgy.slu.edu/29OrdA101908/reflections_foley.html
My Reflections"Whose image is this and whose inscription?" Did Jesus know how to deal with hypocrites or what! And He leaves us with a daily struggle: how can we steward all the blessings God has bestowed on us?
Many years ago I read a book by Douglas Meeks, God, the Economist: The Doctrine of God and Political Economy. Meeks proposes that we understand Our God as a Community of Persons and The Head of the Household; this leaves us with a challenge to live appropriately as just stewards (see a review: http://theologytoday.ptsem.edu/jul1990/v47-2-bookreview8.htm). There may be no “quick fix” to our social and economic issues today but I have not heard anyone argue in favor of our present economic leadership or tax code!
I tried to apply my best understanding of love to my deliberations on issues and candidates. I hope my choices will help “Caesar” fulfill “his” responsibilities to God. If you’re finishing your deliberations, may the Lord guide you. Brother-in-Law, Pat, wrote me to encourage everyone to pray and invite God to guide us to become a holy people.

May the peace of Christ be with each of you.

John

2 comments:

  1. Hi Everyone,

    I've been wanting to send an update on Anna for a while now but was waiting until after her last cardiologist appointment. She's doing pretty well - he doesn't need to see her again for 6 months. The cardiologist said the 'hole' (atrial septal defect) is repaired and looks great. The 'leaky valve' (cleft mitral valve) does still leak some. He said it's something they'll have to keep an eye on all her life and will possibly require another surgery some day - they are hoping not until adulthood. They also mentioned that she has a narrow aortic arch (which has always been there but never brought to our attention - that we remember). They are hoping that with her growth and normal blood flow, it will develop a little more otherwise it will require some sort of procedure in the future.

    She's in preschool now and loves it. She's back to normal activity and keeping us busy.

    We'll let you know if anything changes.

    Chris and Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey John,
    We are so enjoying the blog…what a good service you’re doing in God’s name! I’m going to forward to my kids. Thank you for carrying Rick on the prayer list. His 4 treatments in Sept. went well and he’s back to maintenance.

    ReplyDelete