Saturday, July 26, 2008

July 27, 2008 Seventeenth Sunday in Ordinary Time




My Companions:

I spoke with Kim and Gary went for surgery this week to remove lymph nodes (and as I post this received a voice mail: they appreciate our prayers and are receiving support). They do not know what treatment will follow but need prayer for body and spirits. Ted told me that his mother-in-law can get around a little better. And Randy let me know that Nick, his son, has west Nile… and got it here even though he has flown to Southeast Asia for his project. We saw the Varras (Rachel and Peter) before they flew to Hawaii and they glowed with life. Anna Margaret has open heart surgery this week, so keep this little girl in your prayers.Keeping in-touch:You can see that I’m “slacking” as this preparation will only be written hours before we celebrate the Sunday Liturgy. We enjoyed our Son, Daughters and Grandchildren and this week seemed to fly-bye as I continued to work on my Emmaus Project and on my exercising (tennis and biking). Also, it has taken a lot of energy just to deal with the high 90s heat. Matt will move home on Monday. My prayer this week has focused on finding funding or a job so I can continue to work on my project… Maybe, like Solomon, I should just pray for wisdom and the Lord will lead me to something useful!


The Readings:



Comments on the Readings

Fr. Foley challenges us to listen with an open heart and find wisdom. http://www.liturgy.slu.edu/17OrdA072708/reflections_foley.html


My Reflections

As I mentioned earlier, I need to pray for wisdom. I have reached-out to many people as I work on my Emmaus project and I meet many gracious people. Although Solomon is known for his wisdom, he is also known for taxing the heck out of his people! I wonder what I would do if I had such power. I like to think that I have my sights on a “pearl of great price” but all my vision and enthusiasm will be worth nothing if it does not serve the building of the Kingdom of God: AMDG

What are you “hiding” or “working to purchase” these days? How do you see that connected with God’s will?


May the peace of Christ be with each of you.


John

4 comments:

  1. Anna's Surgery (9:33AM)
    She's out of surgery... We haven't seen her yet. We are taking a short break while they get her settled in ICU. Dr. Ohye (the surgeon) said everything went well. I'll report back after we see her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Everyone,

    We did get to see Anna. I can't put into words how she looks...lots of tubes and wires...but she is doing ok. She's still on the ventilator but they hope to have her off that early this evening. They are also still trying to regulate her heart with the pacemaker (which can sometimes happen). She can communicate with us a little bit, but we hesitate to do that...the more we "stimulate" her, the more she is aware that she has a tube down her throat...

    Chris and Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Everyone,

    She's off the ventilator, the tube is removed and she is breathing on her own. She has quite a bit of fluid in her chest so they are giving her a breathing treatment right now. She'll also be getting a blood transfusion as well due to...I'll give you a guess - yes, blood loss. She's still pretty sedated but she has tried to talk a couple of times. I'd like to say that she was asking for me (mom), but she wanted Dada. The staff says she's doing well overall. They say she is very cooperative with them (you know she's sick if she's being cooperative). They LOVE her red hair too.

    Thanks for all your e-mails, thoughts and prayers.

    We'll update everyone again in the morning.

    Chris and Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Everyone,

    Anna had a pretty good night of rest last night. She's a little more alert today. She even asked to watch one of her DVD's - even though she fell asleep right after that. She might be staying in ICU for a little bit longer or she might go to Moderate Care which is a step-up from ICU but not quite General Care yet. She has been taking sips of water...they are going to try popsicles later. She still has all the same tubes and wires as yesterday...but later today they'll try and get the catheter out. From what I can tell, their biggest concern is 'pacing the heart'. When she is very alert, the heart beats normally...but when she's sleeping or resting, the pacemaker kicks in to assist the heart.

    We are hoping this will be a good day for her. Grandma and Papa are in her room right now. We're heading back there now...we'll send an update some time this afternoon.

    Again, thanks for all the e-mails, thoughts and prayers.

    Chris, Dave and Anna

    ReplyDelete