Monday, December 4, 2017

Second Sunday of Advent

My Companions, pray with me:
Lord, we hear the call of John the Baptist: "Prepare the way for the Lord." Help us to quiet our egos and come to know the deepest desire of our hearts that you have given us. Then we will serve you, each other, and all your wonderful creation. We will make the path straight.
     Please comfort our companions who struggle with health issues, especially Lindsay (recovering from pneumonia), Richard (recovering from back surgery), and Jack (radiation treatments). And shine your perpetual light on those who have recently died: Franklin and Mary Ellen. Remember all those on the prayer lists of this blog.
   May we glorify you this Advent by more fully recognizing your Holy Spirit alive within us as you share your life in the incarnation: you call us to live as your sons and daughters.
     Amen

Companion Events: Birthdays: Caleb Foresman (12/3), Kathy DePriest (12/3),  In memoriam: Edward T. Oakes, SJ (12/6/2013), Gail Audino (12/6/2015), Ed Hogan (12/9/1999)

Keeping In-touch: We have begun to decorate and bake for the Advent/Christmas Seasons. Our balmy late fall temperatures allowed me to comfortably do some outdoor decorating and cut and paint Nativity Scenes; so I've reflected on and notice the absence of my father. I met with an old colleague who passed through town. And had some time for reading: Breathing Under Water by Richard Rohr & Forgiving Others, Forgiving Ourselves by Isenhart and Spangle.

The Readings: Second Sunday of Advent

Some Commentary for prayer or study: The Sunday Website

My comments and an invitation for your comments: 
The challenge in our readings for the Second Sunday of Advent for me is a reflection on God's Will. Too often I have thought of God's Will as a program book that I must seek to find and understand my role. But I have begun to realize that the Lord has planted within me the deepest desire of my soul. When I strip away my selfish, ego desires and begin to know what I really want out of life, I acknowledge God's love for me and my desire to love God and all God's creation. This discernment has a dynamism, a zest for life!

No comments:

Post a Comment