Thursday, May 7, 2009

Fifth Sunday of Easter


My Companions: For all those fighting sickness, I have especially in mind Mary Weed, Gary Dixon and Patrick O’Donnell, may our prayers help them in their suffering and help & guide all who love them and serve them in their time of need. Let’s also remember to pray for other enslaving aspects we experience: employment issues (because of their employment or lack of employment), anxiety (and other psychological disorders), as well as spiritual emptiness. But let’s not forget to have gratitude in our hearts for the new life around us: Craig McBride’s going to be a grandpa again.
Birthdays this week: Anna Margaret DeBaar, Willy Smith, Molly Norton, Sharon McKay and Patrick Norton… blessings to all.

Keeping-in-touch: I’m “a slacker again” this week: it’s Thursday and only now do I update this blog. Maybe I have slowed-down because I do not act my age: I pulled a muscle in my leg playing softball Sunday evening. Our first “Who do you say I am” reflections with men at Nativity brought some encouraging comments. I have had some encouraging meetings in both Colorado Springs and Denver for the use of our services. My learning curve seems more like a ladder about ready to fall back on itself, but I’ve always loved the challenge. We enjoying the spring weather and look forward to our trip to Spain (less than 3 weeks away and Marge isn’t finished packing). The honey-do list grows by the minute… (think I'll go play golf with my friend, Jim).


Comments on the Readings: Fr. Foley: “Ouch. If we bring forth no fruit, we 'will be thrown out like a branch and wither.' If we bear some, we have to be pruned anyway. We lose either way!” http://www.liturgy.slu.edu/5EasterB051009/reflections_foley.html
My Comments: Fr. Foley’s reflections this week rank as some of the best. More than ever before, I experience this pruning in both my work and in my prayer. The pains and the rejections as well as the surge of life and encouragement tell me that I’m alive... and connected to both an incomplete world and a loving Lord.

May the peace of Christ be with each of you.

John

1 comment:

  1. All is well with us but we’re coping with a very bad diagnosis of a good friend. Could you please add Jim Noonan to your prayer list? It’s a very progressive neurological disease similar to Lou Gerig’s so the journey will not be an easy one for him or his wife.
    They are very faithful people and will hold on to the God line to get through this.
    Anita

    ReplyDelete