Monday, September 8, 2008

Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross


My Companions:
My Aunt, Agnes (93), is failing so I pray for comfort in these days for her. I have not heard from the Dixons but continue to pray for Gary’s fight. Otherwise most of you who keep contact draw summer activities to a close and enter the autumn schedules of school, fall sports and, this year, political discussions and choices. I do hope we open our minds and hearts as we participate in our political responsibilities with reason and compassion. I hope we seek the LORD’s will. Looks like we have a couple celebrations this week: Gary & Joan’s Anniversary, Birthdays: Mary Kate Weed and Taylor Smith.


Keeping-in-touch:
When we celebrate a holiday, the week flies bye! My academic work has increased significantly; I continue to enjoy the political events on TV as well as the US Open (tennis). Bill and I played tennis (talk about a couple of aging men) and I went fishing and catching with Jim & Kim and Marge. This week I begin my participation in the Ignation Scholars Program so… life is good.


The Readings:
http://www.usccb.org/nab/091408.shtml

Comments on the Readings:
Fr. Foley compares the snake of Moses with the Cross of Jesus http://www.liturgy.slu.edu/HolyCross091408/reflections_foley.html


My Reflections How can we celebrate the Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross? Like Peter (two weeks ago), I like to focus on the anticipated glory. How can the “world be saved” by gazing on a gruesome image of corporal punishment? The irony, to me, is overwhelming: I can not deny my sin (my alienation from God, self, others and the world) and expect to "see God." But, hopefully, I can pass through this separation and isolation and gain the fullness of life in Christ, the one crucified. May the power of this saving cross cleanse us and renew our world.

May the peace of Christ be with each of you.


John

No comments:

Post a Comment