Monday, August 18, 2008

Twenty-first Sunday in Ordinary Time


My Companions:
Since I posted so late last week, I have not learned of many new joys or issues of my companions. Greg did send a nice email telling me to “keep up the good work.” And Ted wrote this morning that his mother-in-law is doing better. Also, Dad wrote that his sister, Agnes Klaus was taken to the hospital yesterday with some internal bleeding. Thanks for your prayers.

Keeping-in-touch:
As I wrote in the last post, we received “heavenly rains” and we canceled the SCC camp-out; but we all met for breakfast and praised OUR LORD for the wonderful moisture. I have a big presentation on Wednesday (AMDG).
The Readings:
http://www.usccb.org/nab/082408.shtml

Comments on the Readings:
Fr. Foley tells us to open our hearts to the LORD… have faith:http://www.liturgy.slu.edu/21OrdA082408/reflections_foley.html
My Reflections
Even before my graduate study, where I focused on Christology in the philosophical traditions of Process Philosophy and the Philosophy of Hope, I often made the statement, “Your answer to the question, ‘Who do you say I Am?’ probably says more about you than it says about Jesus.” And then I would add, “One person’s experience is a very limited sample.”
I’m challenged by the Scriptures, by the Mothers and Fathers of the Church and by faithful communities that seek to respond fully to Our Lord’s revelation. I do not wish to commit myself to “my projected image (onto Jesus)” of “my ideal messiah” any more than I wish to love “my projected image (onto Margaret)” of “the perfect woman”! I wish to find God in all things and love the True God.

How has Jesus Christ surprised you; how have your images been attuned to the revelatory melody found in Scripture and Tradition?


May the peace of Christ be with each of you.

John

4 comments:

  1. thanks for the prayers for Tina's mother .. she is doing much better now that they have identified the right medication to help her begin to feel better. She will be on oxygen for the rest of her life but she can deal with it much better now that she is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sr. Peg Maloney sent the following so I'm passing it on for your Labor Day Preparations:

    Below is a link to the US Bishops Labor Day Statement….

    http://www.usccb.org/sdwp/national/labor_day_2008.pdf

    Excerpt from statement:
    The economy must serve people, not the other way around.
    Work is more than a way to make a living; it is a form of continuing participation in God’s creation.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Gospel reading asks “But who do you say that I am?” Here is how some kids in the Nederlands explained who God is by the use of their hands. Turn on your sounds and click this link.
    http://www.mychurch.org/blog/30635
    Love to all, Connie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you John, for this wonderful blog. And know that good friends are the best medicine and best prayers. We did our first Centering Prayer meeting, based on Thomas Keating's work. It is a very comfortable way to Be Still and be with God. Great seeing you. Happy Labor Day to all. Kim

    ReplyDelete